The origins of the building hosting Relais Le Clarisse, and thus the name chosen, are deeply rooted in ancient times. The building was adjoined, as a refectory and oratory to the church of Ss. Fourty Martyrs of Sebaste in Armenia and St. Pasquale Baylon, located on Via San Francesco a Ripa at the corner with Via delle Fratte di Trastevere.
The first documentary evidence of the existence of the church are dated back to 1122, when it was erected by Pope Callisto II. The church was then rebuilt by the order of the Barefoot Minor Fathers, whom absorbed into the project the oratory today hosting Relais Le Clarisse and which was converted, back then, into the monastic convent of Le Clarisse order of nuns.